August 18th, 2014
This amazing video from You Tube really shows the effect of sun damage and what a good sunscreen can do to prevent further damage. See how a simple application of sunscreen immediately forms a barrier between the dangerous UVA and UVB rays getting under the skin and damaging it.
At MBNS and Qutis clinics, we treat sun damage caused by exposure to the sun without using an SPF
Sunscreen should be used daily – not just on sunny days! We here at MBNS and Qutis skin clinics advocate the use of iS Clinical’s Eclipse SPF 50 (available in 3 shades: beige, brown and regular) to use as your daily moisturiser which doubles as your sunscreen.
You can see from the shocking video the damage that the sun can cause, damage you do not see with the naked eye. So now you are armed with the facts – protect your skin – daily! It is the only skin you have!
Get yours today at our online shop.
If you would like to find out more about the many anti sun damage skin treatments and products we have at MBNS and Qutis Clinics, such as wrinkle treatments, IPL for the removal of sun damaged skin and fat dissolving injections, kindly call MBNS on 01844 213007 or Qutis on 01993 704050 and we will get back to you swiftly. Alternatively, if you would prefer to contact us by email, CLICK HERE for MBNS and CLICK HERE for Qutis.
July 11th, 2014
How health advice has changed over the years! We used to be told to have a high carbohydrate diet as carbs fill you up more; now it is protein in higher quantity that is shown to have a better effect on the body’s health. Certain carbs should be limited as they can produce high levels of insulin in the body causing it to be converted into dangerous fat especially in the tummy areas of women in their prime and this can also lead to diabetes.
We also used to be told to follow a low-fat diet and that fat was bad and now the thought process due to strong evidence around that has changed to0 – there are good fats and bad fats now!
The thought process regarding skin health is evidence based and illuminating to say the least! Our advise is to look out for the following dangers that can age the skin: stress, sun and sugar!
Helping clients have healthier skin: Adrian Baker RN INP
We asked Adrian Baker, one of our nurse prescribers at MBNS and Qutis Clinics, his thoughts on the skin’s 3 S’s: Stress, Sugar and Sun;
“Whenever possible, stress should try to be tackled with certain types of exercise such a walking or yoga which will in time induce calm” says Adrian, getting involved in a good fitness class such as Jazzercise can keep your mind off the stressful things in your life and focussed on the health of your body!
Active Serum all in one skin treatment for lines, wrinkles and pigmentation
Adrian says that he is seeing more congestion acne-prone skin, often as a result of using rich high street oil-based anti ageing creams that clog pores combined with a high sugar diet. Adrian goes on to say that he likes serums and creams that have high strength retinoids, which are only available on prescription, or iS Clinical’s Active Serum which reduces the appearances of fine lines and wrinkles and has pharmaceutical grade active ingredients.
We all advocate the use of a good sunscreen. His and all our favourite sunscreen is iS Clinical Eclipse with an SPF of 50 which acts as a fantastic moisturiser as well as your protection against the harmful ageing rays of the sun.
Remember the good fats for your skin!
So on the thought process of eating “good fat” to stay healthy, we all advocate to eat more avocados, oily fish olive oil and almonds.
The best advice is : Don’t take your skin health for granted. Look after yourself in the sun, take care of what you eat and take regular exercise – it is the perfect combination for health!
If you would like to find out more about the many skin treatments we have at MBNS and Qutis Clinics, such as wrinkle treatments, dermal fillers and skin tightening to name a few, kindly call MBNS on 01844 213007 or Qutis on 01993 704050 and we will get back to you swiftly. Alternatively, if you would prefer to contact us by email, CLICK HERE for MBNS and CLICK HERE for Qutis.
June 24th, 2014
Increase the appearance of wrinkles and the visible signs of ageing? Use a sunbed
I know this is a subject that many people don’t like to discuss, well nobody likes to talk about the “C” word do they? However, we at MBNS and Qutis clinics feel we are duty bound to inform about the risks of developing skin cancer as we are a skin clinic and our aim is to keep your skin healthy!
So here are the hard facts! (source cruk.org)
1. There have been around 12,800 cases of malignant melanoma diagnosed in 2010 in the UK – that’s about 35 people a day.
2. Using a sunbed before the ago of 35 increases your risk of developing skin cancer by up to 75%.
3. Getting a painful sunburn just once every two years can triple the risk of the most serious type of skin cancer.
4. People with light eyes or hair, who sunburn easily or do not tan have an increased risk of skin cancer,
5. People with a lot of moles, unusually shaped or large moles, or a lot of freckles have a higher risk of melanoma.
6. A history of sunburn doubles the risk of melanoma and also increases the risk of non-melanoma skin cancer.
7. People with a previous non-melanoma skin cancer have a much higher risk of developing a second one.
8. People with a close relative diagnosed with skin cancer have a higher risk of developing it themselves.
You can prevent skin cancer by adhering to the following:
Seek the shade and wear a wide brimmed hat to prevent skin cancer
Wearing a suitable sunscreen of at least Factor 50 EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR – not just when the sun is out! We love iS Clinical’s Eclipse Factor 50 which protects against both the UVA and UVB rays and is paraben free. This will prevent sunburn which as already mentioned can enable skin cancer to develop on the skin.
Try to keep out of the direct sunshine, especially during the hours between 10am and 2pm when the rays are at their strongest.
Wear protective clothing such as a long sleeved top, trousers and wear a wide brimmed hat.
If you are concerned about skin cancer in any shape or form, we advise you to visit your GP. Once the areas of concern have been checked, all our nurses remove benign moles, skin tags, cherry angiomas and seborrhoeic keratoses. We also can remove sun damaged skin with IPL Photorejuvenation.
To make an appointment for a consultation with one of our nurse specialists, please do ring 01844 213007 for MBNS or 01993 704050 for Qutis and we will get back to you swiftly. Alternatively, if you would prefer to contact us by email CLICK HERE for MBNS and CLICK HERE for Qutis.
We look forward to keeping your skin safe and healthy!
May 30th, 2014
Summer is around the corner so you will probably be getting your summer dresses and shorts out of your cupboads and getting ready to show some leg!
So with the sunshine comes the MBNS and Qutis warning that you are all familiar with which is: to be careful in the sun and use your SPF 50 at all times – and instead of thinking SUNTAN think FAKE BAKE TAN!
We have a full range of Fake Bake products available in clinic and online for you to buy, from Fair to Flawless and all at 20% off for the month of June, so you can get that sun-kissed look safely without damaging your skin. Shipping from MBNS is always FREE!
For a perfect application, here are three steps to
the perfect FAKE BAKE tan:
Step 1 – Prepare your skin
• We recommend the first step you take is to use a Fake Bake Body Polish (exfoliator) to gently remove flaking, or dead skin cells to help create a longer lasting tan. Remember your self-tan fades as your skin sheds. If you remove loose skin cells, the remaining ones will not wear off as quickly. Fake Bake ‘polishes’ skin, without lacerating or damaging the surface of newly exposed layers. Fake Bake Body Polish is a soap less product which will leave no residue on the skin.
• With a cupped hand, mix Fake Bake Body Polish with a little water (you may want to apply Polisher in the shower).
• Starting with your feet – apply Fake Bake Body Polish in circular motions working up your legs and body, paying particular attention to feet, knees and elbows.
• Remove excess Fake Bake Body Polish with warm damp mitts or alternatively, shower off.
• Immediately prior to your self-tan, apply a small amount of Fake Bake Skin Smoothie Oil to dry heels, feet, knees and elbows which can be blended when the self-tan is applied.
Step 2 – Apply Self-Tan
• Using gloves (provided with Fake Bake Self-Tan), apply product starting at your neck, working down in small circular motions.
• Working down your torso, onto your legs, lightly glazing the product over your ankles.
• It’s best to apply self-tan to the front of your leg while your knee is bent, but when applying to the back of your leg make sure its straight. Apply product at the bottom of your leg moving upwards in small circular motions.
• When you are working down your arms you can spray Fake Bake Skin Smoothie Oil onto your hands and elbows. This will emulsify the self-tan slightly and smooth the product over any dry areas.
• Keep product off your palms.
• Apply Fake Bake Face Self-Tan using a small amount. Blend over all of your face as if applying a tinted moisturiser. Take into the hair line, blend around the ears and join up to the Fake Bake on your neck.
• Allow the self-tan to dry for 15 to 20 minutes before you redress.
Step 3 – Maintain your Self-Tan
• To prolong your Fake Bake self-tan, make sure you keep your skin well moisturised on a daily basis. After showering either spritz yourself with Fake Bake Skin Smoothie Oil or apply Fake Bake Tan Enhancing Lotion. These products have been specially formulated to work with Fake Bake self-tans. Other moisturisers may react with tan as the Alkalines in them stripe colour leaving your skin patchy.
• 5 to 7 days after your tan we recommend you gently exfoliate your skin with Fake Bake Body Polish. Repeat this every 2 days thereafter to ensure your tan fades evenly and to prepare your skin for your next Fake Bake self tan.
If you would like to find out more about Fake Bake or any other of the products and services we offer at MBNS and Qutis Clinics such as wrinkle treatments, dermal fillers and permanent hair removal call us today on 01844 213007 or 01993 704050 for Qutis.
October 15th, 2013
Hydra Cool Serum is available at the MBNS online shop in both 15ml and 30ml bottles.
Have you noticed that the season is changing? The summer is well and truly on its way out, and we have colder autumn days ahead of us! So that means we are wrapping up more, aren’t we, exposing our skin to the elements and putting on the central heating? All of this plays havoc to our skin; it begins to feel dry, breakouts can happen and it loses its laxity.
We can treat your dry skin here at MBNS!
Lack of moisture and a change in seasons means that we have to step up our hydration of our skin, and the best way to do that is a three pronged approach: A Fire and Ice Medical Facial, iS Clinical’s Hydra Cool Serum and iS Clinical’s moisturising SPF factor 50.
The Fire and Ice Facial really helps your skin adapt to the changes of the season by pouring moisture back into it by means of botanical potent serums including Hydra Cool, which is an anti acnaic moisturiser in a serum. It really is the answer to dry flaky skin. A sealant of SPF smoothed over the surface of the skin is the perfect solution so that the face is protected from the damaging wind and rain – you see, an SPF is not only for sun protection, it is a moisturiser and skin protecter all in one!
MBNS has a special offer on the great Hydra Cool Serum this month -Usually priced at £41 for 15ml and £73 for 30ml, the prices for October are £30 and £60 respectively! Visit our online shop by clicking here to get yours now.
If you would like to find out more about the Fire and Ice Medical Facial or any other of the treatments offered at MBNS including wrinkle relaxing treatments, dermal fillers and permanent hair removal to name a few, please contact us on 01844 213007 or fill out the form HERE, and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
October 10th, 2013
Many of our patients come to see us with the skin condition, Rosacea. Quite simply, it has the appearance of angry red skin which looks and feels sore and inflamed. Rosacea can be, if untreated, a long-term skin condition that mainly affects the face. Symptoms begin with episodes of flushing (when the skin turns red).
As Rosacea progresses, other symptoms can develop such as: burning and stinging sensations, permanent redness, spots (papules and pustules) or small blood vessels in the skin becoming visible. In the most severe cases, skin can thicken and enlarge, usually on and around the nose.
We here at MBNS clinic in Thame have 5 specialist nurses who can help patients with this skin condition by offering specific iS Clinical products that will keep the Rosacea at bay by reducing the inflammation and redness.
You can see on the left, a photo of a patient who had struggled with Rosacea for a long time. Her nurse advised her to use the following products from the iS Clinical range: Cleansing Complex, Pro Heal Serum Hydra Cool Serum and SPF.
As you can see, from only after one week, the skin had begun to settle and redness was controlled.
The iS Clinical line is a medical strength skincare regime, much more potent than any you could buy on the high street. The surgeons and chemists who developed the products have put their years of expertise into these serums which dramatically change the skin, whether it be to control Rosacea, reduce lines and wrinkles or keep the skin youthful, packed full of antioxidants and well nourished.
If you would like to find out more about the iS Clinical line, or any other treatment and products we offer at MBNS, kindly call us on 01844 213007 to speak live to a member of our team, or fill out the form HERE, and we will get back to you swiftly!